How to Change Name on American Airlines Ticket?
One of the oldest aviation companies in the world, American Airlines, is a pioneer in the aviation industry with many firsts that made its name permanently etched in history. The journey of American Airlines has been pretty unique as compared to all other airlines in the US. Founded in 1926, American Airlines got its present name in 1934, when 82 small and young airlines operating under the name American Airways were merged and renamed. It was the first airline in the US to commercially fly a Douglas DC-3 between New York and Chicago. It was the first aviation company in the world to establish a dedicated flight attendant training institute in the late 50s. The credit for recruiting the first black commercial airline pilot and the first female airline pilot in the US goes to this trendsetting carrier. American Airlines also happens to be the first aviation company in the US to introduce a passenger loyalty program and a dedicated airport lounge to pamper its passengers.
With such a rich history of innovation and trailblazing, it is only obvious that the airline would have many customer-centric policies that would be a benchmark in the industry. The American Airlines Name Change Policy is one such set of guidelines that scores above the rest thanks to its comprehensibility and lucidness. Unlike the name change policies of other airlines which are nothing but a complex set of rules that are difficult to understand, the American Airlines Name Correction Policy is a simple and well-written set of instructions that addresses all the core name change and correction-related issues. The entire name change policy is discussed below for your understanding.
American Airlines Name Correction Policy
What makes American Airlines Name Correction Policy different from the rest is the categorization of different name change and correction requests into two groups based on travel itineraries. Both these two categories of name corrections, namely Minor & Major name corrections, deal with similar kinds of name-change and correction requests, the only difference being their relatability to two different itineraries. Here, we will discuss individually both these two categories, the guidelines pertaining to each one of them in detail and the different types of name-change and correction requests included in these categories.
Types of Name Changes/Corrections
The American Airlines Name Correction Policy identifies the six most common types of name-change and correction requests made by passengers and allows them on American Airlines tickets. First, let’s discuss each one of these types in detail. These are as follows,
1. Correction to the last name
The American Airlines Name Correction Policy allows correction to the last name without imposing any restriction on the number of characters that can be corrected at a time. Passengers can request any modification to the last name that may involve a change in one or more characters. Take the example of JONSON to JOHNSON or GOZALLEZ to GONZALEZ. Passengers are also allowed to request the removal of a prefix or suffix to their last names, such as GOODING JR to GOODING, under this name correction policy.
2. Correction to the first name
Not only the addition to or removal of characters from the first names, but the American Airlines Name Change Policy also allows complete modification to the first names without any limitation. The allowed modification could be related to a shift from a nickname to the full name or vice versa. Take the example of BOB to ROBERT or ROBERT to BOB. The name change policy also accepts change requests where requested first names are completely different from the original first names on tickets such as DEMI to VIVIAN and PAULA to CARLA. But the last names have to be the same in such cases.
3. Addition or removal of second or additional last name
Passengers are allowed to add or delete their second last names to match Government-issued id proofs such as GONZALEZ to PEREZ GONZALEZ or PEREZ VALENZUELA to VALENZUELA.
4. A complete change in the last name
The American Airlines Name Change Policy allows complete change in last namesif passengers go through any one of the life events mentioned below,
- a. Marriage
- b. a Divorce
- c. an Adoption
The only condition to apply in this case is the backing of the said name change request with supporting legal documents.
5. Addition or removal of middle name
It is not mandatory to include a middle name or an abbreviated version of it on an American Airlines flight ticket. Therefore, the name correction policy allows passengers to add or remove middle names from their American Airlines tickets without any hassles.
6. Correction of the inverted names
Under the American Airlines Name Correction Policy, passengers can make corrections on tickets if their first and last names have been inverted by mistake. So, an American Airlines passenger need not bother correcting his name from ADKINS ROBERT to ROBERT ADKINS on his flight ticket.
Now that you know about the most common types of name changes and corrections requested by passengers, let us understand the two broad categories of name corrections in depth along with the relevant guidelines associated with them.
Minor Name Corrections & Guidelines
As per the American Airlines Name Correction Policy, all six types of name changes and corrections mentioned above are treated as Minor name corrections, if such changes relate to the travel routes of only American Prime & American Eagle flights. The guidelines associated with minor name corrections are as follows,
- i) Minor name corrections apply to American Airlines tickets with only 001 ticket stocks. They are made on tickets associated with fully operatedAmerican Prime and American Eagle flights.
- ii) The corrections can be made in the same PNR. Minor name corrections do not require regeneration of PNR.
- iii) The name corrections can be made up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure.
- iv) As per the American Airlines Name Correction policy, minor name corrections don’t allow any modification of passengers’ important personal information such as the date of birth and gender.
- v) The SSR DOCS inputs must be re-entered during minor name corrections, but the date of birth (DOB), gender and other important passenger information must remain the same as in the original Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD).
- vi) Minor name corrections don’t require any further annotation except a waiver code to process the minor name change or correction request and reissue the ticket. In the case of the original fare ticket endorsement, the code NC03AGCY must be included at the beginning of the endorsement text on the replaced ticket.
- vii) Under the American Airlines Name Change Policy, minor name corrections don’t require any fare difference to be paid during the re-issuance of tickets as changes to flights and dates are not allowed and the PNR remains the same. Therefore, passengers can get their tickets reissued at the original ticketed fare.
- viii) The policy permits multiple minor name corrections and the waiver code, NC03AGCY, should be applied each time.
Major Name Corrections & Guidelines
The same six types of name changes and corrections mentioned above are considered major name corrections when they are associated with travel routes that include codeshare flights between American Airlines and other carriers in the OneWorld Alliance or American Airlines and non-Oneworld carriers. The guidelines related to the major name corrections are as follows,
- i) As per American Airlines Name Correction Policy, a new PNR must be generated and the ticket should be reissued in case of a major name correction.
- ii) Major name corrections don’t allow changes to the original itinerary. The flights, origins of the journey, destinations and routing all should be the same.
- iii) If passengers are unable to book new tickets in the same class and the same flights as the original after a name change or correction due to non-availability or other technical issues, they have to call local sales support for assistance.
- iv) There should be strictly no change in either DOB or gender information on reissued tickets. Both these inputs should exactly match the original. In other words, the original Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) must remain unaltered after a name change.
- v) The American Airlines Name Change Policy mandates that reissued ticketsmust contain original automated endorsements. The new PNR also requires a sales waiver authorization which can be obtained by contacting the American Airlines sales supportteam.
- vi) Passengers must pay a name correction fee to get major name corrections done on their American Airlines tickets. However, no cancellation fee or other additional charges are applicable.
- vii) The American Airlines Name Correction Policy allows multiple major name corrections,but passengers should pay the name correction fee and obtain a sales waiver authorization from the sales team on each such occasion.
Please note that both minor and major name corrections are allowed only on refundable tickets. Passengers don’t need to pay any name change and cancellation fee in the case of minor name corrections, whereas they should only pay the change fee in the case of major name corrections. Passengers with non-refundable tickets such as basic economy aren’t allowed to change their names or make corrections to tickets.
Parts of the name correction policy have been updated recently with a difference in fare clause being added in the case of major name corrections. Also, a Special Exception Policy has been introduced in February 2022 that allows name changes or corrections on partially used tickets. Therefore, passengers are requested to go through these changes in the name correction policy thoroughly before booking a flight ticket.
From the above discussion, it must be clear by now to the readers that itinerary is the deciding factor that determines whether a name change or correction on an American Airlines ticket is a minor or a major one. Both minor and major name corrections deal with similar types of name change and correction requests, varying only in the process.
The American Airlines Name Correction Policy also includes a special category called Infant Name Correction which has a set of well-laid guidelines to govern name changes in infants who are traveling with their parents. More on this unique feature is mentioned below,
Infant Name Correction & Guidelines
Infant name correction is a unique feature incorporated in American Airlines Name Correction Policy. It relates to both American Prime and American Eagle-operated itineraries as well as ticketed travel routes that include codeshare segments. As per this feature, the names of infants traveling with their parents are not sent to the other airlines which are part of the codeshare. Instead, an SSR message is sent to the partner airline suggesting that an infant will travel. This reduces the hassles of going through the complex name change process associated with travels on codeshare flights in case there is a need for an infant name change or correction. The guidelines related to this are as follows,
- i) The American Airlines Name Correction Policy mandates that in the case of infant name correction, the name of the infant must be corrected in the same PNR as an adult.
- ii) The SSR DOCS SFPD must include DOB and gender information.
- iii) No waiver code is required for the re-issuance of tickets.
- iv) New tickets must contain original automated endorsements.
- v) If an infant ticket is re-issued due to a name change or correction, the re-issuance must be done at the original ticketed fare.
- vi) Infant name corrections don’t allow changes to travel routes on original tickets.
How much is the American Airlines name correction fee?
The American Airlines name correction fee structure is as follows,
- i) Passengers with refundable tickets are not charged any change fee for minor name corrections. The service is available free of cost.
- ii) Passengers with refundable tickets are charged a name change processing fee of $25 for initiating major name corrections.
- iii) The standard name change fees for domestic and international travel are $200 and $700 respectively.
What are the different ways to change a name on an American Airlines ticket?
American Airlines is one of the most advanced airlines in the US that uses the best of modern technology to solve various customer requirements. Be it a simple name correction or a more complex name change, the airline has always been among the pioneers in introducing various technology-induced methods for quicker customer assistance. Talking about a name change, the aviation giant has put in place multiple channels which a passenger can use to make name corrections on his American Airlines ticket. More on these can be found written below,
Name change/correction from the website
Enter the URL, www.aa.com , on your browser and come to the homepage of the official American Airlines website. Click on “My Reservations” and log in using your passenger credentials. Identify yourself with your PNR or customer reference ID. Now, get to “American Airlines Reservations” and click on the “Change Flights” button. If you don’t find any such button, chances are that your American Airlines ticket is not eligible for an online name change or correction. Change your name or correct it by clicking on the edit button and saving it.
Name correction by calling the American Airlines helpline number
American Airlines has multiple helpline numbers to assist passengers with various queries. You can change or correct your name by dialing the right helpline number, following the IVR and talking to an airline representative.
Name change using social media platforms
Social media handles are a great tool for boosting customer engagement. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Whatsapp not only allow companies to interact live with their target audience, but also help them create more happy customers by providinginstant customer support. So, passengers can expect a quicker resolution to their name change queries by contacting American Airlines via any of their social media handles.
Name correction by chatting live with agents
One of the quickest ways to get your name corrected or changed on an American Airlines ticket, live chat with agents, is undoubtedly the best method when it comes to solving queries and getting changes made in real-time. Passengers need to log in to the website, click on the live chat icon and initiate live chat by putting down their queries inside the chatbox. Response time is usually very less as live agents provide assistance to customers and solve their queries in real-time.
Requesting a name change or correction via e-mail
Though not as effective as the other direct methods of name correction mentioned above, sending an e-mail to the American Airlines customer support team with a name change or correction request can be a good idea at times, especially, when you are unable to follow other ways due to some reason or the other.
Name change/correction by visiting the airport
If meeting an American Airlines representative in person is what you prefer to get your name changed or corrected on your ticket, then visiting the nearest airport for the purpose is the best thing you can do to get things done easily. The only issue with this method is that it requires a lot of time and effort.